This Category has no FAQ yet
The Bump in The Night Investigation Team does not charge anything for any of the services we provide.
Bump in the night paranormal is very sensitive to our clients needs and well being when it comes to handling ghosts and hauntings, human interaction with ghosts and other phenomena you may be experiencing. We try to be as non-invasive as possible during our research and we are extremely respectful of the living and the dead. Each team’s make up of regular researchers and psychic investigators depends on the needs of each case. We do nothing to increase the activity at your location. Although each case and client is different, there are some basic procedures and research guidelines that we would like to make you aware of prior to your investigation in an effort to make our research more scientific and successful and to make you more comfortable with having us in your home.
What you can expect:
• A team of 4 to 12 investigators depending on the size of the location and the events that have been reported by witnesses. Each case is different.
• 95% of our equipment is handheld and is carried in photography bags and camera cases. There is nothing that is dangerous to you or your home. Most of it is equipment that you would recognize on sight such as cameras, video cams, etc.
• Most of our investigations last approximately 3-6 hours. Follow up investigations may be longer or shorter depending on each cases needs.
• We ask that just the residents of the home be in attendance and that no guests be invited unless we have discussed it with you prior to the investigation.
• We will turn all the lights off and shut off as many electrical appliances as you allow. No TV's or Radios on because they will interfere with the audio and video equipment. Our infrared cameras need almost total darkness.
• There can be no smoking inside or candles lit because that too can give us faulty readings and also interfere with our sense of smell.
• We ask that you all remain in one central location of the house. Feel free to talk normally and please do not whisper. Whispering can taint our audio recording.
• If you would like an investigator to sit with you through out the investigation and explain things to you as they happen please let us know.
• You will receive a copy of all positive evidence collected including videotapes, audiotapes, digital photos and 35mm photos. You will also receive a formal report after each visit to your home. It takes about 4 - 6 weeks to review all the evidence and compile this report.
If you have any other questions, please don’t hesitate to ask. Thanks for you time.
The team may have recorded anomalous fluctuations in the electromagnetic field, which may indicate a spirit presence. It is scientifically impossible for low level and moving electromagnetic fields to occur naturally, yet we find these fields in areas where there is spirit activity reported. An EMF meter is an instrument that reads the fluctuation in electromagnetic fields. When B.I.T.N. members first arrive, preliminary EMF readings are taken and recorded at various places throughout the site. The locations of power lines, appliances and other sources of electromagnetic fields are also noted.. Most normal readings are in the range of 9.0 - 30.0 on the EMF meter. These are typical EMF readings in a home. Anything that registers in the 1.0 to the 8.0 ranges and cannot be traced to a source is attributed to spirit activity. An example of a source would be an electrical outlet in a wall. It is commonly accepted that spirits are a form of energy and that EMF meters detect that low level of energy accurately
EVP is short for Electronic Voice Phenomenon. This is what paranormal investigators believe to be a voice of a spirit. This voice or sound is not generally heard at the time of recording. It has been imprinted directly onto the recording medium. The B.I.T.N. team may have recorded one or more EVPs during your investigation. The recordings are evaluated using software such as Cool Edit Pro or Sound Forge. A human voice is not capable of making a sound that is below 300 Hz. If a recording of someone speaking is obtained during an investigation and it is found to be below 300 Hz you can be sure that it was not made by a human. This evidence would be included your report either on videotape or a CD.
Types of EVPs:
Class A - Loud & clear - interpreted the same by all listeners.
Class B - Reasonably clear - interpreted differently by some listeners.
Class C - Requiring headphones to distinguish the voices and open to individual interpretation
In photographs, ghosts almost never look like a real people. If B.I.T.N. obtained any positive photos during your investigation you will probably see one of these forms:
Photos of orbs are one of the things that can indicate the presence of a spirit. Orbs are balls of energy that are found in the semi infrared spectrum of light. They can be found anywhere but are found in much higher concentrations in areas where spirit activity has been reported. It is believed that cameras capture orbs because they are capturing an event in a split second, faster than the human eye can register. Often a person will not see anything at the time of the photo. The camera actually captures the pure image, as it is, energy, without having a brain to interpret the data first. Digital cameras can also capture some ranges of infrared light and this is often the spectrum of light that orbs are found. Autofocus cameras send an infrared beam out for a fraction of a second in order to measure the distance of an object from a camera. This infrared light enabled the orb to bee seen by the camera for the split second the photo is snapped. Orbs are usually white but can also be red, orange, yellow or pink. All positive photos have been included on a disk. (Please see our section on false positive pictures for more on orbs.)
Ectoplasm looks like fog or smoke. These photos are not as common as orb photos. Ectoplasm is also called psychic fog or spirit energy. The method we believe enabled the mist to be captured on film is the same as that of capturing orbs. Ectoplasm is usually white but blue and green have also been seen.
The Vortex is an uncommon photo. The Vortex looks like a funnel or a tornado. They are usually white but can be other colors also. It is thought to be a single orb or many orbs moving together at high speed.
Trained photographers in our group have evaluated the photos that we have labeled as positive ones and they assure us that there are no natural causes for the anomalies we have pointed out. The photos are also compared to a database of photos with orb like anomalies that was created by B.I.T.N. in order to help rule out false positives. The orbs in the photos may have also been observed, sometimes simultaneously, on our infrared video camera, or by a sensitive investigator. In some instances, positive photos have been taken at the time of apparitions.
Abnormal and unexplainable temperature drops may have been detected with our infrared non-contact thermometers. These thermometers only read surface temperatures a change in temperature means that something the thermometer detected as solid passed in front of it. B.I.T.N. looks for any temperature drop of 10 degrees or more in less that one minute that does not stay in the same area or occurs again. It is believed that spirits use the heat energy in the air to manifest and this can cause cold spots. The energy that comprises the spirit or the energy around it (like orbs) may also be the source of the cold spots. An example of what B.I.T.N. would call a significant cold spot would be a 35 degree temperature drop recorded for about 4 seconds in the basement that was accompanied by a positive photo of an orb.
- unusual, unexplained, noises or smells, such as purfume, cigarette/cigar smoke, ect.
-The feeling of being watched or not being alone in certain areas of the residence.
-Unexplained temperature changes "cold spots"
-Electrical disturbances, tv, lights and other appliances being turned on and off.
-Visual images, filmy images, shadows, apparitions, balls of light.
-Displacement of objects.
-Doors opening and closing, footsteps, banging on walls.